Bethesda New Connexion Methodist Chapel, Hanley
(Historic Chapels Trust)
One of the largest Non-conformist chapels outside London in nineteenth century, attracting huge congregations and seating up to 2,000 people. The present building dates from 1819.
Robert Scrivener, a local architect, created in 1859 a stucco-ed Italianate frontage with a portico. Behind is a vestibule with stairs to right and left leading up to the immense continuous oval-shaped gallery with tiers of seats.
The chapel retains original stained glass windows, memorials and a fine pulpit with twin flights of steps. Bethesda Methodist Chapel came to national attention in the 2003 BBC 2 TV 'Restoration' series and is now owned and being repaired by the Historic Chapels Trust, who will regenerate the chapel for community activities.
Getting there SATNAV: ST1 1QF OS: SJ882473