Epworth Old Rectory

1 Rectory St, Epworth, Doncaster DN9 1HX


Visits & Collections Manager vcm@epwortholdrectory.org.uk

01427 872268


Opening Times

Open from April – October: Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays 10:30am to 3:30pm, last admissions 3pm.


Grade I Listed

Toilets including a disabled toilet

Group Visits

Coach parties please book in advance. Group visits, retreats and quiet days available, by pre-arrangement. Access to library for research by arrangement.

Parking Available

Limited parking and coach access available

Refreshments by prior request

Catering is available if booked in advance (morning coffee, light lunches, afternoon teas).

Also Nearby

Within 5 miles around Epworth are several villages where John Wesley preached and feature in his journal: Owston Ferry, Haxey and Wroot where John Wesley was curate. Gainsborough Old Hall - Wesley preached here too; 12 miles from Epworth.

Access issues

Full disabled access to the garden, however in the house only the ground floor is accessible.

Gift Shop

Gift shop stocking a range of memorabilia and books


Limited parking and coach access available



Epworth Old Rectory

The Reverend Samuel Wesley became Anglican rector of Epworth in 1695, and also nearby of Wroot in 1722. Here his wife, Susanna, bore him at least 19 children, although only seven daughters and three sons - Samuel Jr, John and Charles - survived to adulthood. Susanna educated all her children diligently and instilled in them the methodical approach that would later characterise her sons' approach to religion.

The town of Epworth is located on the 'Isle of Axholme': higher ground in a landscape of canals and dykes. This, originally Dutch, engineering is reflected in the styling of the town's post-office building. Today's elegant Queen Anne rectory, with its 'glebe' and set in pretty gardens, was built in 1709 to replace the family's original house, which was destroyed by fire. John Wesley, aged only 6, had to be dramatically rescued: 'a brand plucked from the burning'. The family continued to live here until Samuel Wesley Snr died in 1735.

When John, by then an itinerant preacher, returned in 1742, he found a 'religious society' already established. He was to return to preach in Epworth every other year until 1790 - staying at the Red Lion Inn and preaching from the Market Cross.

The Rectory was purchased by the British Methodist Church with assistance from Methodist Churches around the world in 1954. It was restored and opened to the public in 1957. A major redevelopment project is planned to restore the house to how it looked in 1716 and provide improved visitor facilities.

The 'John Wesley Physic Garden', a walled garden featuring plants from John Wesley's book 'Primitive Physic: an Easy and Natural Method of Curing Most Diseases' , was opened in 2006.


Home of the Wesley Family

Take a digital tour of Epworth Old Rectory

Epworth Old Rectory

Inside the museum...


In the garden...



Home of the Wesley Family

Take a virtual tour of Epworth Old Rectory


Browse the collection online

Browse some of the amazing objects, prints and furniture that tell the story of the home of Methodism at Epworth Old Rectory.


Upcoming Event

From craft fayres to afternoon tea, there is always a busy schedule of events. Click the link below to see upcoming events.

Epworth Old Rectory

"We really enjoyed our trip to Epworth today. The Rectory of the Wesley Family was good, informative & quite child friendly too. The staff were super friendly & helpful. The kids enjoyed the tour, asked questions & even got to do some crafts at the end."

Visitor to Epworth Old Rectory

Consult the opening times to arrange your visit to the museum via the link below.