Billy Bray’s ‘Three Eyes’
Kerley Downs Chapel,
Sole remaining example of three
chapels built by Billy Bray (1794–1868),
a renowned Cornish tin miner and
local preacher, for 43 years, in the ‘Bible
Christian’ Methodist denomination.
Now maintained as a memorial to Billy Bray, with several services held throughout the year (see www.billybray.org.uk for details). The chapel contains pictures, information and memorabilia of The King's Son (Bray's 'title' adopted for FW Bourne's biography, first published in 1871).
Tel: 01872 223755
Billy Bray’s memorial and grave can be found
in the churchyard to the south end of Baldhu
Anglican church (now closed and converted
into residential accommodation).
Access permitted until 4pm.
Gwennap Pit 4 miles away.
Getting there [SW762438] Car: 1 mile from the village of Chacewater. From Chacewater centre, go up Kerley Hill and continue across the 'staggered' crossroads.Continue a short distance until the next junction and the little chapel is some 50 yards after the junction on the right hand side of the road. No bus service to the chapel.