Ty Hen Gapel John Hughes / John Hughes Memorial Chapel
Built in 1800 as a Calvinistic Methodist chapel, the adjoining cottage became the home of the Revd John Hughes, who was licensed to teach by the Revd Thomas Charles of Bala (founder of the Bible Society), and became one of his itinerant teachers and a powerful preacher.
John Hughes' original pulpit still remains in the chapel. Ann Griffiths, Wales' greatest female hymn writer, worshipped at this chapel.
It was also where Ann Griffiths, Wales' greatest female hymn writer, worshipped after her conversion from Anglicanism.
After the chapel moved premises in 1865, the building fell into disuse and disrepair and was used eventually (1927) as a wheelwright's workshop: wheelwright tools and benches are on display today.
Rescue and restoration began in 1983 and the Chapel reopened as the Centre for Christian Unity and Renewal in 1995. John Hughes' original pulpit still remains in the chapel, with artefacts representing all Christian traditions and a Shalom table.
Additional visitor information
Centre for Christian Unity and Renewal Pontrobert
SATNAV: SY22 6JA OS: SJ108128