Llanlleonfel Church (Church of Wales)
Church where Charles Wesley married Sarah Gwynne of nearby Garth House (now privately owned) on 8 April 1749 in "a sombre affair with much prayer and hymn-singing" conducted by Charles' brother, John Wesley.
Built on an ancient sacred site (with late Roman burial stone, 6th–7th century), by 1873 it was described in Kilvert's Diary: "the ruined church tottered lone upon a hill in desolate silence." Rebuilt in 1876 due to its Wesley associations.
Additional visitor information
SATNAV: LD4 4AW OS: SN939499