On their first trip to Cornwall with John Wesley in 1743, two of his
companions, John Nelson and John Downes, stopped at stonemason Digory
Isbell's cottage to seek hospitality.
were welcomed by his wife, Elizabeth. Nelson called again as he was
leaving Cornwall and reportedly preached to some 300 people.
that Wesley was also a regular lodger, and so Digory Isbell added a
two-room 'Prophet's Chamber' to his cottage where Wesley and his
preachers both stayed and preached.
The lower room of the Chamber is thought to be the smallest Methodist preaching place in the world.
Today Wesley Cottage is open for visitors and contains eighteenth-century furnishings and displays of Wesleyana.
A wide variety of retreat and study days are held throughout the year. See th website or contact Wesley Cottage for details.
Additional visitor information Complimentary light refreshments normally available
Tours by the Curator normally available
Peace Garden and Prayer Garden Recently refurbished upper room Very limited parking
Traditional Methodist services by prior request
Activities for children available
Limited disabled access (contact Curator for details)
Altarnun village and church, where Elizabeth
and Digory Isbell are buried. The old Methodist
chapel in the village (1795, enlarged 1836) is
today a private dwelling, but indicated by a bust
of John Wesley over the doorway, carved by
eminent sculptor, Nevil Northey Burnard, when
just 18. Burnard's birthplace adjoins the chapel.
Wesley Cottage Wesley Day Celebrations
Wesley Day Celebrations are held in May each year to mark John Wesley's Conversion on 24th May 1738. 'Preach from the Porch' normally on Sunday nearest 24 May (see www.wesleycottage.org.uk for further details).