Wesley Methodist Chapel, Winchelsea
John Wesley's first visit to Winchelsea in 1771 made such an impression on the townspeople that they built their own preaching house. He preached in the Winchelsea chapel in 1785 and the pulpit he used remains there today.
By the time Wesley preached his last sermon in Winchelsea in 1790, he was such a noted preacher that the chapel was too small for the large congregation who gathered, and so, being barred from the parish church, he preached in the open air, seated under a tree. This was just six months before he died and the last time he preached outdoors.
Souvenir hunters severely damaged the original ash tree in German Street, close to the parish church, but just outside its walls. But a sapling from it replaced the original tree and there is a commemorative plaque at its foot today.
Additional visitor information
Getting there: OS: TQ903174