Charles Wesley's House

South-West England & Channel Islands

Opening Times

Currently the house is open only for pre-booked groups (of ten or more people).  For advance group bookings, please contact info@newroombristol.org.uk. Those wishing to visit individually can register their interest via the website.


Access issues

Very steep steps and stairs throughout.

Grave / Memorial

In the nearby St James’ churchyard can be seen the grave of six of Charles Wesley's children.

Grade II listed


Parking in street; Coach parking in town.

Charles Wesley portrait
Photo credit: John Wesley's New Room
C Wesley House
Photo credit: John Wesley's New Room

Charles Wesley was his brother’s right-hand man in creating the Methodist movement. After his marriage in 1749, Charles ceased living at the New Room and rented accommodation for his wife and family in Bristol. In the nearby St James’ churchyard can be seen the grave of six of his children. From 1766 to 1771 the family lived in No 4 Charles Street and visitors to the house can see the rooms and the garden as they are believed to have been at that time. This includes seeing his study where he wrote some of his 7,000 hymns. Among the portraits in the house are those of Charles’s two sons, Charles and Samuel, who were musical prodigies. For a virtual tour please click here . Since 2017, the house now also contains displays devoted to telling the story of hymn writing and the hugely significant role played by both Charles and John Wesley.