Wesley Centre, Kingswood School

Bath, Somerset

Opening Times

During school terms, by arrangement with the archivist.


In 1741, Bath was fourth place to have a Methodist Society; with a ‘preaching house’ from 1759. New King Street Chapel was built to accommodate the growing congregation, and opened by John Wesley in 1779 and continued in use until almost completely destroyed in 1942 during WWII bombing. However, a chapel was needed for the overflow congregation from New King Street long before that, and Walcot Chapel was opened in May 1816.

Imposing portico and galleried interior, with organ (built 1771 for Bath Assembly Rooms) installed in 1818 – when organs were not officially approved for Methodist churches!